Amboy Elementary understands the importance of involving parents and the community as a whole in promoting higher student achievement and general good will between the District and those it serves. Therefore, Amboy shall strive to develop and maintain the capacity for meaningful and productive parental and community involvement that will result in partnerships that are mutually beneficial to the school, students, parents, and the community. To achieve such ends, Amboy shall work to
1. Involve parents and the community in the development of the long range planning of the District;
2. Give the schools the support necessary to enable them to plan and implement effective parental involvement activities;
3. Have a coordinated involvement program where the involvement activities of Amboy enhance the involvement strategies of other programs such as Head Start, HIPPY, Parents as Partners, Parents as Teachers, and Even Start;
4. Explain to parents and the community the State’s content and achievement standards, State and local student assessments and how Amboy’s curriculum is aligned with the assessments and how parents can work with Amboy to improve their child’s academic achievement;
5. Provide parents with the materials and training they need to be better able to help their child achieve. Amboy Elementary may use parent resource centers or other community based organizations to foster parental involvement and provide literacy and technology training to parents.
6. Educate Amboy’s staff, with the assistance of parents, in ways to work and communicate with parents and to know how to implement parent involvement programs that will promote positive partnerships between the school and parents;
7. Keep parents informed about parental involvement programs, meetings, and other activities they could be involved in. Such communication shall be, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand;
8. Find ways to eliminate barriers that work to keep parents from being involved in their child’s education. This may include providing transportation and child care to enable parents to participate, arranging meetings at a variety of times, and being creative with parent/teacher conferences;
9. Find and modify other successful parent and community involvement programs to suit the needs of Amboy Elementary;
10. Train parents to enhance and promote the involvement of other parents; and
11. Provide reasonable support for other parental involvement activities as parents may reasonably request.
To ensure the continued improvement of Amboy’s parental/community involvement program, Amboy will conduct an annual review of its parental involvement policies to examine their affect on promoting higher student achievement. The review shall be done by a committee consisting of parents and other community members, certified and classified staff, and member(s) of the administration.
This policy shall be part of the school’s Title I plan and shall be distributed to parents of the Amboy’s students and provided, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
Legal References: 20 U.S.C. § 6318 (a)(2), (A), (B),and (D), (E) (NCBL Act of 2001, Section 1118)
20 U.S.C. § 6318 (e)(1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (8), (9), (10), (11), (13), (14) (NCBL Act of 2001, Section 1118)
Date Adopted: 3/11/04